Tuesday, August 26, 2008

SECRET NUMBER TWO

Write what you know…?

Sorry I missed last week’s blog…life happens and the past few days have been an enlightening one for me. I received a request from an agent, so I’ve been in an intense hard critique with two dear writer friends of mine who adore me enough to help me get my manuscript and synopsis ready for the big time. And we did it. Now I wait…this is the hardest part.

But it gives me the opportunity to fill you in on SECRET NUMBER TWO, as promised.

Write what you know – this is what you’re told when you get into the writer’s world. But what do they really mean by that? You know a lot of things – none of them interesting. Or at least that’s what I was thinking…until one day, in casual conversation I was asked.
“Well, what did you do for a living before you became a writer?”
“Nothing much. I was a model.” I said.
Suddenly their eyes brighten, their cheeks flushed a soft pink and they said, “Oh my God, that’s exciting. How interesting. What wonderful stories you can create coming from that world.”
Huh? I’m thinking. There’s nothing that interesting about the modeling world. It’s a job. I’ve been doing it since I was ten years old. I grew up in the biz. But something about their excitement made my ears perked up, my mind turned on and I listen to them talk about my world of modeling, and I realize what I’ve taken for granted as being normal, isn’t normal at all for those who have never been in that business. Suddenly, I see my world through their eyes and it’s such a different place. This place is the place they want me to write about. This place is a place of fascination for them. This place is the place I KNOW and need to write about for them.

But this isn’t the only way to write what you know. That experienced exploded like a grenade in my head, I realized I didn’t have to stick to the modeling world or other things I believed to be normal or boring in my life. I could write about things I’ve taken a deep interest in and know a lot about. Things like quantum physics (yes, some of us models do have brains) life after death experiences, parallel realities, or remote viewing. As a matter of fact the manuscript I referred to at the start of this blog is about Remote Viewing and it was different enough to get requests.

So, take a look at your life; be it occupation, hobbies, or just something you’re into and then see it through the eyes of a stranger. Ask them what they think of your world and what fascinates them about it. Look at a hobby you’ve been into for years and remember how you felt the first time you discovered it and what made it a hobby, then write it…write what you know.

So, here’s my challenge. Tell me what you think is boring about your life and I tell you what’s fascinating about it.

Good luck. And remember, our reality is just an illusion.
Hawk

6 comments:

Vicki said...

Love Secret Number Two, these are really great and thank you for sharing them with us. :)

I know I've already told you, but major congrats on the request!!

Hawk said...

Thank you Vicki for coming back to visit. I'm glad you're enjoying the secrets. And thank you for the congrats...xoxo Hawk

Timothy Farley said...

I wasn't going to do this, wasn't going to do this, but I thought that was because my comment sounded so insipid to meself and then I got the point. Try looking at it from another perspective, right?

Anne-Marie Carroll said...

Hawk, awesome post. I absolutely love your secret number two and think you're right on target. Keeping my fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed (A-M draws the line at crossing her eyes. lol)for positive responses on the partial you sent as a result of a request.

Hmm, I don't have an answer to your blog question though. Can I say boring???? lol

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Timothy - so nice of you to visit. There are so many ways to perceive things, and as long as we're all willing to see the world through a rainbow...life will always be full of beautiful colors.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Anne-Marie, you're a gem for sure! Hugs dar'lin.