Sunday, December 28, 2008

Have you had an Alfalfa sandwich lately?

Why not?

Come on! Go get some rye bread, Swiss cheese, a cherry tomato and some alfalfa with a touch of safflower mayo. Put them all together and enjoy real food! O.K., not going to happen, huh? Well, listen to why it should.

Alfalfa is an herb that is so overlooked it’s sad. Yet, it has eight essential amino acids that are so very important to our bodies. Alfalfa is rich with vitamin K and it is four times higher in vitamin C than orange juice. It has all the minerals and vitamins we need to live.

Did you know Alfalfa combats infectious diseases by building our systems into strong fighting machines? Supposedly, from what I’ve read in herb books and in a few health reports; Alfalfa makes our immune system strong enough to fight off some cancers and other degenerative diseases like arthritis. I didn’t know that.

I discovered Alfalfa just by chance. I had heard Alfalfa was good for Asthma (which I have) and started taking it for that, but within weeks I noticed the stiffness and pain I had from Traumatic Arthritis (because of a bad car accident) in my hands had started to FEEL normal. The doctors told me my hands would never be the same or work the way they once did, but today I move them just like I did before the accident. Had I known about the affects of Alfalfa I would have started it as soon as the disease hit me, but I didn’t know. So, I still have a few of the frozen knuckles, but today my hands feel like they did before the car accident.

I couldn’t believe it. Why didn’t my doctor tell me about alfalfa? Instead I get gloom and doom. Aren’t Doctors supposed to know about things that can cure us? Why don’t Doctors know more about herbs and why isn’t herbal studies a part of their training?

I realize you’re wrinkling your nose just thinking about eating alfalfa, but did you know, it has been used to settle upset stomachs since the late fourteenth century? Yap and it’s been used for centuries to cure kidney problems, earaches, and coughs.

Some of the main diseases Alfalfa helps, as listed in “The Little Herb Encyclopedia” By Jack Ritchason N.D., are, allergies, anemia, arthritis, asthma, bell’s palsy, bursitis, Cancer (colon prevention), diabetes, fatigue (mental & physical – and I can verify this one too! It works better than coffee for energy when you’re punching a deadline), gout, rheumatism, tooth decay, and so many more. It’s an amazing herb.

{:-D

Just thought I would share this. BTW, you can get Alfalfa in pill form at your local Health Food Store. Just incase you don’t make that sandwich.

Have a Happy New Year!!!
Hugs to all
Hawk

13 comments:

Lea said...

Sweet Jesus Hawk!

I'm glad you are feeling better from eating that shit but I'll take the pill thank you very much.

You are a way better woman than I am let me tell you!!!

I am a vegetarian, but Alfalfa? Sorry gag city - lol.

Once again, you have provided an educational interlude and made me laugh after a very frustrating battle with HTML script. Check out my blog if you want to see what the hell I'm talking about.

And, yes Hawk, I cus like a sailor. We all have our faults, what can I say!

Happy New Year!!

I do hope things settle down there for you. :)

L

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I quite like alfalfa, but I'd heard somewhere that it was bacteria-prone if you buy it fresh at the supermarket. Wonder if that's passed or was only a rumor...

Either way, it has some amazing properties!

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Lea!

LOL, girl you make me laugh every time!

I'm glad to hear you take the pill form of it...since you obviously don't like eating alfalfa. But you really don't know what you're missing until you've had a Swiss Cheese alfalfa sandwich! Mozz. Cheese with onion and alfalfa is good too. LOL, oh, alright, I can feel you cringing from here! Stop it - just take the dang pill! ;-)

Hey, I'll visit your site next - of course I want to know what's going on - I'm Irish aren't I?

LOL, as far as the cussing - I'm trying to cut back but I've been known to made a man turn several shades of pink when I'm mad. Tee Hee Hee....hum, I didn't know cussing was a fault...Well, who would have bleedin' guessed.

Hugs
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Alyssa,

Ah, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who eats Alfalfa. As far as it being bacteria-prone...I hadn't hear that rumor, but I wash all my veggies before eating them.
Yap, even my alfalfa. I know some people eat it right from the box but NOT ME - everything is washed before it goes into my mouth.

So wash and enjoy!
Hawk - and Alyssa, thanks for coming by to visit!
Hugs

Liza said...

I've never tried alfalfa, but with my allergies not getting under control, I'll have to give it a try. I think I'll go with the pill first. I love spouts, but I'll have to work my way to trying alfalfa.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

(((Liza)))

Welcome back, hugs!

Well, the herb book I have says it's great for allergies - so good luck and let me know how it works for you.

Yes, I use the pills when I'm treating myself. That way I get enough of it to do me some good. I don't think I could eat enough of it in a sandwich or salad to give me the effects the pills give me.

I love spouts too, but they taste different from alfalfa. Alfalfa has a dirty taste but so do sprouts, just not as strong. But I've aquired a taste for it, so I mix (either one) into salads, or put them in a sandwich.

Best place to give it a try without buying it - at a salad bar!

Hugs
Hawk

Lea said...

Liza:

Take my good buddy Hawk's advice and go the salad bar route before making a decision about purchasing the sprout stuff for home use. Better still do the pill, much less angst.

Hawk honey, thanks for the graphic sandwich description, I just spewed coffee all over my keyboard!

Alfalfa and swiss cheese and onion? YIKES....

L

Lea said...

PS:

(((Hugs))) You know I love you despite the Alfalfa! lol

Liza said...

I will try the pills first and hit the salad bar before I buy any in the grocery store. Thanks for the advice.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

HEY!!!???

Are you two ganging up on me?

Lea, you can stop spewed coffee all over your keyboard! It wasn't alfalfa, Swiss Cheese and onion - The onion goes with the Mozzarella Cheese, tomato and alfalfa with mayo. LOL.

Now that delicious Rye bread sandwich is made with Swiss Cheese, tomato, and alfalfa, that's it. And oh, it has to be made with Safflower Mayo....

oh, sorry, Lea - did I hear you spitting coffee AGAIN??

:-D sorry, the devil made me do it.

I adore you too honey!
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Liza,

Trust me - alfalfa isn't that bad if you already like sprouts. Do try it.

Don't let that little devil Lea scare you off. LOL O.K., LEA!!! Next weeks blog is going to be all about EXOTIC FOODS....SO GET YOUR COFFEE READY!

ROTFLOL
Hawk

Vicki said...

Yeah, I'm thinking the pill form would work for me. :)

But man, I didn't know it was good for so many things. You, my dear friend, are a wealth of knowledge and I love it.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Vicki -

I'd be lost without your friendship - truly lost!

Hawk