Sunday, May 24, 2009

AND THE WINNER FOR “IN OVER HER HEAD” IS!

Andrea Dickinson!!!

WooHoo! Congratulation Sweetie! Contact me at houstonawknight@tampabay.rr.com and give me your snail mail addie, let me know how you want Judi to sign the book.



Remember, in October I’ll be running another free book contest to win Judi’s next book “Wild Blue Under” so come back and come back often…this contest was so much fun, I’m going to be doing another book giveaway Next Week with Author Carol Henry’s just released book “Amazon Connection” and Carol has gracious offered to sign the winner's book and give a surprise gift to both runner ups in this contest!!! So, be sure to come back next week and get in on the fun…this next contest will actually have three winners!

NOW FOR THIS WEEKS BLOG!

Ironing.

No, this is not a very thought provoking subject but it’s one that’s on my mind since I’ve got a ton of it to do and … to be honest, I’d rather write about it than actually iron. LOL

As you all know I have a twin sister…and believe it or not she confessed to me that she liked to IRON CLOTHES. Yes, I was stunned silent [odds of that happening again are one in a million] but I was speechless…because, I hate ironing. My sister said the act of ironing was a stress reliever for her. She said she found it relaxing. {8-O Really, I said, totally floored and then I offered to fly her over here and iron my mound of clothes! She declined.

So…it got me to wondering about IRONING and how this lovely (cough, cough) chore got handed to us women to do in the first place…

OMG, to my horror I discovered women have been ironing since the Greek times…YES, these poor women used a cylindrical bar they called a “goffering” iron to put pleats in their men’s linen clothes. As if ironing isn’t bad enough…have you ever had to pleat a skirt? I did! ONCE and needless to say…I never wore the skirt again…for fear I’d have to pleat it again.

I’m not one of these women who can run through the ironing…I’m a perfectionist…everything has to be just so. It’s that craziness that makes the job of ironing a time consuming, back breaking, sweat producing job! I guess that makes me an A type personality.

By the 14oo’s the Europeans had what they called “Hot Box” Irons. Yeah, the name of it alone makes me what to run out and buy it (snicker). Hot box irons were boxy so hot coals or bricks could be placed into a built in compartment that made the iron stay hotter longer.
Yeah, that had to be fun…not only slaving over a ton of clothes but now you have to deal with HOT COALS as well! Yap, I can see the burning flesh kind of fun I’d have had with that process of ironing. Band-Aids hadn’t been invented yet, those wonder aids didn’t show up until 1920-21, so how would I have held the gel of the Aloe on my burns?

The first self heating iron didn’t come to market until 1852. Did you know in 1874 there was a patent given for a gas iron? That’s right, a gas iron. Hummm, now that one’s got me really wondering.

After the discovery of electricity irons advanced by leaps and bounds...aren't we lucky no one thought to toss the darn things out!? By 1882 the electric iron was patented and soon after hit the market…the first thermostatically controlled iron came out in 1934…isn’t that nice? If you can’t tell, my tone is sarcastic.

And don’t think (like I did) that as a woman you can run away from this horrid task by going on vacation…man quickly invented a travel Iron for us to take with us. They gifted us women with this one in 1909. When some of us, thinking we were smart, complained the travel iron was too bulky to pack (naturally thinking we’d get out of this hideous job) our men out smarted us again and by 1937 gave us a FOLDING TRAVEL IRON as a gift for our vacation trip! Aren’t they just dears to think of that!?

Then in 1920’s the STEAM IRON…it wasn’t bad enough that we women were nursing blistered fingertips…. So our sweet men decided to invent the steam iron…what a wonderful gift….(grumble, spit and cuss) Now, not only could we burn our fingers and tummies (Warning: never iron wearing a knotted under the bust T-shirt that bares the stomach) but we could slave away with HOT STEAM in our faces! WOO HOO, that way by the time we’re finished with this nasty little job our bangs can be as limp as overcooked spaghetti for that “new flat look” we’ve been just dying to share with the world.

So, which are you? Are you like my twin sister and love the job of ironing; finding it relaxing and a stress reliever or are you more like me….I HATE IRONING!

Just wondering
Hawk

23 comments:

Lea said...

Congratulations to the winner!!! Great contest Hawk!

And, Hawk, I HATE ironing... It is avoid at all costs..

;)

Warm Regards
L

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Lea!

LOL

Of course you hate ironing...you and me... we think alike and talk alike! That's why we're friends...even if you've got blue hair now? Tee hee hee.

Where is everybody these days?

Hugs
Hawk

~Sia McKye~ said...

Here I are, lol!

Hawk, I really don't mind ironing. Mind you, I don't do a lot of it. did when I was a kid. You think you hate ironing now? Try doing it for a family of 8. my mom would let me set up out on the porch when it was too warm in the house.

A/C? What A/C? We didn't have it most of the time and when we did it was a window unit in two of the bedrooms, my parents and one of the biggest bedrooms and when it was too hot at night, all 7 of us kids would camp out in there.

So when we had a working unit, I did set up there with music and 3 baskets of clothes.

Mostly we had perma press clothes which made things beter.

Most of my clothes today don't need ironing. I have a few linen pieces that do and then I have to remember, now where did I put the iron? lolol!

Nice history bit on irons.

Judi Fennell said...

I hate to iron, yet I took ironing in when we first had kids and I quit my job to stay home. So, at night, I'd stand in front of television and iron other people's clothes.

Needless to say, all business clothes in my home now go to the dry cleaner. I hate to iron.

Cecile said...

Congrats to the Winner!! Happy reading!

OMG!!! I HATE IRONING!!!! I hate it so much, that I make sure everything my family owns does NOT need to be ironed!! The truth be told... my mother loves to iron and you guessed it... I send what ever in the heck needs to be ironed to her!!!
But oh how i do hate to iron... I think I would rather have a binkin wax than iron... really!!!!

Blodeuedd said...

Congrats :D

Ironing that long...poor women

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Sia!

8! EIGHT? 8!!!! OMG...kill me now...I've got just me and hubby...thank the Gods me dog doesn't wear clothes!

I'm with Lea, Judi and Cecile...I HATE IRONING! Worst part is...I can't stand synthetic materials...so everything I wear needs Ironing.
Can you hear me screaming now?

OMG...I don't know how you do it...and you did it for 8 People! EIGHT? The number after seven?

OMG, I'm runnning for the hills....oh heck, we don't have any in Florida...o.k., I'm running for the ocean and it won't be for swimming!

LOL
Hugs
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Judi!

I'm on board with you...everything to the dry cleaners!

LOL - we're making a stand against ironing! Right?
I mean really...when was the last time you made a heroine Iron, really!

Hugs darlin'
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Cecile!

I'm so glad you came back to visit...I'm hoping you make this a regular stop in your blogging. I enjoy your comments so much.

Hey, I know you didn't win Judi's book but next week I've got another FREE book give-away happening...A romance book for the winner and then the 2ed and 3rd runners up also get a gift! A really good one!

Hugs
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Blodeuedd,

I've tried to get onto your site a million times and can't get in...why? Do I need a special membership or something?

I want to leave a comment and it never takes it? Well, just know I'm a regular there I just can't get a post in!

Hugs
Hawk

Vicki said...

Congrats to the winner!!

Ironing. Yeah, not so much. I've never liked it, but I do it. All the time. The worst is when I iron something that I know five minutes after I put it on it won't look like its ever seen an iron. Still, I have to know it was wrinkle free if only for a few moments.

Hope you're having a great day!!!

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Vicki!

What's up, girl? Are you having a good holiday?

Next Sunday there will be another chance for a free book...be sure to drop by.

Hugs
Hawk

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Congrats Andrea!

Hi Hawk!

I hate ironing, but a friend of mine lives to iron. Okay, she's also OCD. She presses everything, even her hubby's boxers. Hey, my hubby's lucky I wash his boxers.

Okay, I have to admit, I used to press everything because I didn't want everyone to think I didn't care in my family was rumpled. But guess what, I decided it was okay to be rumpled, it gives you that 'lived in' look and if I don't press, no one gets used to the unrumpled look. I wash the laundry (when I have to). I try to fold, and I used to put away. I still fold as items come out of the dryer, but everyone's responsible for depositing their own clothing items where ever they'd like them. As long as they don't mind picking it up off the floor to wear it, I don't care.

Life is too short to press everything that goes with it. So, I press my hubs work shirt if they're too wrinkled. I wouldn't want to piss the judge he works for off, we've gotten quite fond of eating.

Dottie :)

Blodeuedd said...

Really, what is up with that....nope it should be open to all. And i would think that when I follow your blog you really should get in. Ok have to look that over.
But the rest doesn't seem to have a problem...I have absolutely no idea. Try with your blogger account and anonymous.

Cos left an award for you. I do hope you can come and see it

Blodeuedd said...

Ok I might know now since I just got 3 of your posts.
I was spammed and ever since that I have up that I must approve the post before. So when ever I come to my blogs there might be some posts waiting for me and then I approve them. First then they show up.

So if you wrote 3, well got them all :)
I truly hope that is the prob and not that my blog has something against yours, how evil my blog would be then.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Dottie!

LOL on the pressing...no I wouldn't upset the judge either. Eating is important these days. LOL

Now, if I could only accept the rumpled look ... I'm a neat nic...I love cotton...and you know how cotton loves -LOVES to wrinkle don't you...you can't get a button buttoned... the buttonholes are so crumpled...that's a little too rumpled for me...so I'm still ironing...but thank the lord hubby doesn't wear boxers...My dad wore those, I know because that's the item my mom started teaching me how to iron on at the age of six....yap, six. That's right 47 years of ironing! I hate it.

Ironing's kind of like a man...you can't live with it and you can't live without it....you know what I mean? LOL - just kidding!

hugs
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Blodevedd!

I saw them all! So, I got in! FINALLY....so, you can see I've been trying...I don't know what the problem was...I'm just glad I got in.

So, what's you best subject and what's you worst?

LOL - I am a devil aren't I.

Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Blodevedd,

Obviously, I'm isn't English...or typing. LOL
I meant to say;
What's YOUR best subject and YOUR worst subject.

Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

}:-/

That's MINE isn't....

I guess I need a break...I've been here in front of this thing since 4 a.m....off to wash the dog!

Andrea Dickinson said...

Where does time go? I can't believe I won and forgot to check back! Thanks so much for shooting me a line. I can't wait to read the book.

Liza said...

I don't love ironing, but I don't hate it either. I'm just not very good at it, so I make sure to pull clothes out of the dryer as fast as possible so nothing needs ironing.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Liza...

You always make me laugh...not good or bad at it huh? Don't hate it and don't like it...well, this is a first for me...a person in the middle of the road on ironing...usually ironing is like Ireland...you either LOVE IT or you hate it...there's no middle ground.

LOL - you're funny - that's why I miss you when you forget to visit...you always make me laugh.

Hugs
sweetie.
Hawk

~Sia McKye~ said...

Hey Hawk, I need to chat with you about something, can you shoot me an email sia_danzo@hotmail.com? Need to pick your brain on something.

~Sia~