Sunday, January 17, 2010

ANGIE FOX – NEED I SAY MORE?

Author Angie Fox

As I’m sure most of you know Angie is a New York Times Bestselling Author. She’s a delightful person with a wonderful sense of humor and her books are full of enchanting comedy. You’ll be smiling all the way through her books. Trust me, your face will hurt by the time you’re done because you won’t stop reading until you’ve finished it. Angie writes paranormal with a twist to the light side of things. So be prepared to laugh.
The Accidental Demon Slayer is the first book in the series. Michelle Rowen said it’s, “A Demonically Delightful Paranormal Romp! I didn’t want it to end!” Yes, the exclamation points were included. This is a book that earned Five Blue Ribbons from Romance Junkies.
The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers RT BOOKreviews said, “A new talent just hit the urban fantasy genre, and she has a genuine gift for creating dangerously hilarious drama.”
Booklist said, “This rollicking paranormal comedy will appeal to fans of Dakota Cassidy, Mary Janice Davidson, and Tate Hallaway.”
And now –
A Tale of Two Demon Slayers.
That The Chicago Tribune says is “Fabulously Fun.”

A Tale of Two Demon Slayers is a book that is close to me heart because Angie named one of her Character in this book after me…yap! I was so honored. I mean, how cool is that! And Angie managed to tag me personality quite accurately. LOL, Biker Witch Hawk…..

Which gets me to our interview, Angie, Welcome!
Thanks, Hawk! It’s great to be here. And I like how you’re still wearing your biker witch leather chaps. They look quite fetching on you.

Ah, well thank you! Can't ride without me Chaps! {;-D And you know me...I'm always ready to ride!


So, I can’t resist asking…what were you doing the day you’re brain said the words “Demon Slayer” for the first time?
I blame the Accidental Demon Slayer series on latent pregnancy hormones.

LOL, care to explain that? My infant son used to wake me up two or three times a night, then promptly fall back asleep while I fed him. I’d be up, in this quiet house, and after a bit, your mind starts to wander. I remember sitting there one night, listening to a train rattling over the tracks about a mile away, thinking about books I’d like to write. I got to thinking about what would happen if a straight laced preschool teacher suddenly learns she’s a demon slayer. And what if she has to learn about her powers on the run from an eccentric mad scientist demon? Ohhh and wouldn’t it be fun if she’s running with her long-lost Grandma’s gang of geriatric biker witches?

I wrote my ideas on the back of an envelope, and when I read it the next morning, decided this was something I could have a good time with. I liked the idea of a reluctant heroine thrust into a series of extraordinary situations, when all she really wants to do is to get her normal life back. I sat down at the keyboard the next day and the rest is history.

Now that sounds like true inspiration to me.

What made you think of the twin scenario for A Tale Of Two Demon Slayers?
Lizzie has always been such a reluctant heroine, and despite her successes, deep-down she has trouble believing in herself. I wanted to pit her against her direct opposite – and let the crazy demon slayer weapons fly.
Plus, even though I write each book as a stand-alone, complete story, I like to have consequences from book-to-book.

In the first book, Dimitri exposes some of Lizzie’s magic in order to find her (If anyone was wondering why he could find her and nobody else could – that was why. He cheated a bit). There has to be a consequence for that – and the result is that while they were running around in the second book, someone stole a piece of that magic and created the evil demon slayer.
Ah ha...I didn't know this! Oh this is exciting!

Now for those who have not read “The Accidental Demon Slayer” or “The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers”… can they read “A Tale of Two Demon Slayers” first and still enjoy the story or do they need to read the first two to understand the whole story?
You can pick up A Tale of Two Demon Slayers and know exactly what’s going on. I do that because it drives me crazy as a reader when I pick up a great sounding book and get all excited. And I’ve got the book home and I have my blanket and my drink and I’m all set to read and lo-and-behold, it’s book seven in a series and I have no idea what’s going on. It’s so disappointing. Oh, I agree with you on this.

So I decided when I first became an author that I’d never do that. Each of my books is a complete story. Reading the series lets you hang out with the characters more and watch them grow, but investing in the entire series is not necessary to enjoy one of my books.

What character do you like writing about the most, and why?
Besides Hawk the ultimate biker witch?

LOL...yeah, besides me...the "ULTIMATE" biker witch! WooHOO!

I think my first answer would have to be Pirate, the dog – just because he surprised me. When I sat down to write the Accidental Demon Slayer series, I had no notes about a sidekick for my heroine. But in the first book, when Lizzie learns she’s a demon slayer and there are some very scary, very angry creatures on her tail, she takes comfort in her dog. As I was writing, I thought, ‘This is a sweet moment. Now how do I throw her off?’
I made the dog say something to her. Nothing big. After all, he’s only after the fettuccine from last week. And he knows exactly where Lizzie can find it (back of the fridge, to the left of the lettuce crisper, behind the mustard). It amused me, so I did it. Thanks to her unholy powers, Lizzie can now understand her smart-mouthed Jack Russell Terrier. I ended up having a ball with it. Pirate can say and do things that Lizzie can’t. He’s such a kick to write. Oh, I love Pirate! He's so cute.

What did you enjoy most about writing this story besides the fact that I was in it to spice things up? *G*
I love the unexpected things that happen while writing a book. Like when I sat down to write A Tale of Two Demon Slayers, I knew Pirate the dog was going to have fun, but I didn’t know how. Well it turns out he finds a dragon egg. The thing hatches and he decides he has a pet. I mean, how fun for a pet – to own a pet. Lizzie is not happy about that. She has enough going on and doesn’t think her dog needs to own a pet.
So she tells Pirate to find a new home for Flappy the dragon (Pirate named him, not Lizzie). So Lizzie is battling evil people and losing track of what Pirate is doing. He keeps promising to find a new home for the dragon, but instead Pirate is hiding the dragon, and loving the dragon and teaching him tricks. Every time Lizzie realizes the dragon is still there, it’s gotten bigger and bigger and, well, it’s just one more thing she can’t quite control.

If you could be a Demon Slayer in real life – would you?
Hmm…if it meant I got to hang out with a smoking hot shapeshifting griffin, not to mention a gang of biker witches and a talking dog, I think I could do that. Count me in!

For those few readers who normally wouldn’t read a book because its subject matter deals with witches…what would you tell them about your story, so they wouldn’t miss out on the joy and laughter of reading such a humorous and entertain book about “A Tale of Two Demon Slayers”?
Well, it has Hawk as a biker witch, who destroys ancient griffin armor with a blow torch. How could you miss that? LOL, I can't! ;-) I have a lot of fun with my witches. Ironically, for all of their quirks, I think they’re some of the most practical characters in the book. They’re quick-thinking, good on their feet and they really care about Lizzie and each other.

I want to know, as do my girls here… does Biker Witch Hawk get some Irish spike and go after a griffin? Or does Granny keep too close a watch?
Actually, Hawk helps kick some evil griffin butt. She also enjoys lawn darts a little too much. You don’t mess with Hawk the biker witch. I keep telling everyone that! Believe me, sometimes I wish Grandma would watch Hawk closer. LOL, never happen! She adores me and you know it! ;-) Then again, whatever Hawk does, Grandma would probably just think it was funny and let her get away with it. Hawk has that kind of effect on people. Ah, you know me too well, young lady!


I know there are some nasty Werewolves hanging around; did they finally show up in this book?
Not yet. The werewolves are back in the book I’m writing now. Most of A Tale of Two Demon Slayers takes place on an island in Greece. It’s all about the griffin legacy and griffin secrets. Oh...so we'll have to wait for the Werewolves...just keeping us on the edge of our seats are you! Bad! }:-(

Does Biker Witch Hawk find her end or do I get to live on for another tale? Remember you told me your editor really likes Hawk – you said she thinks I’m feisty….so don’t be quick to kill me off even if I’ve got a wee bit of an eye for a Griffin. ;-)
As we speak, Hawk is racing cross-country with the biker witches in book 4. I’m about four chapters in to the writing and I can say for a fact that Hawk is feisty. Teeheee, that sounds like me!
BTW, Angie if you need me to make any guest appearances…just let me know… I’ve got the Harley polished up real nice after all that Vegas dust. Teheheheheeee. {;-D


Great to know! Because they’re also picking up Max, the demon hunter in book 4 and you know how difficult and broody he can be. Ah, true....but I've got me Irish humor to loosen him up a wee bit. Don't worry I'll get Max where he needs to be!


I know me Irish impishness made me destroy, with Dimitri's help I might add, some of his priceless family heirlooms, but that wasn’t to be mean - that was done only to discover the plot of the bad guys. And it worked didn’t it?
It did work, even though you nearly gave Lizzie a heart attack. But hey, anything to defeat the bad guys, right? Right, I know no other way!

And you’ve got to admit…I did a good job when I had to fight with several witches in that final battle from one of the magical cannons…so I’m not all bad, really. Go ahead, tell the girls how that all turned out.
I can’t tell you the end! Yes you can! Tell how good I was! I will say there is a major battle featuring the biker witches. It was a blast to write because the biker witches have never gotten to fight on such a grand scale. It is tough, though, because we do lose some witches in this book. But great victories require great sacrifice. True, we will miss them But our sisters died with honor! Any biker witch worth her salt will take death with honor during a fight for good!

I have to admit, it wasn’t all work. I did get to enjoy some lawn darts….but if you girls want to know how I enjoyed them…you’ll have to read the book! LOL

Angie, thanks for coming by today to share some time with us. You sticking around to answer comments?
Of course! I’ve got my blanket and my Diet Coke right here. Ask away!
Woohoo…cool!

And GIRLS, Don’t forget…come back next week for the Angie CONTEST! I PROMISE; it’ll be easy.

And the following week will be the announcement of the winner, who will get a free, signed copy of A Tale of Two Demon Slayers!

Have an awesome week girls! Angie, it’s always a pleasure. (((hugs)))

Blurb for A Tale of Two Demon Slayers (highlight this)
Last month, I was a single preschool teacher whose greatest thrill consisted of color-coding my lesson plans. That was before I learned I was a slayer. Now, it's up to me to face curse-hurling imps, vengeful demons, and any other supernatural uglies that crop up. And, to top it off, a hunk of a shape-shifting griffin has invited me to Greece to meet his family.
But it's not all sun, sand, and ouzo. Someone has created a dark-magic version of me with my powers and my knowledge--and it wants to kill me and everyone I know. Of course, this evil twin doesn't have Grandma's gang of biker witches, a talking Jack Russell terrier, or an eccentric necromancer on its side. In the ultimate showdown for survival, may the best demon slayer win.

Hugs

25 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I had forgotten this, you were the winner :D
Oh that was so cool. Of course I will be back next week, an easy one you say, well I guess I for once can let my brain rest then lol.

great interview, very fun

Lea said...

Great interview Angie and Hawk!

Hawk - congratulations on your win.

The premise for your Accidental Demon Slayer books is so unique Angie. And I love Lizzie and her sidekick..;)

Thanks to you both.

M.V.Freeman said...

I think this interview is Excellent, I have been meaning to read her books, and now I have been capitulated into doing so. Love the whole concept. :-)

Hawk,
Now, Maybe I am a little slow on the uptake, but here I was reading this blog..and the red letters were floating..Floating on the surface, an effect I think with blue/red...was that the purpose..It was a nifty thing? I never said I was fast...

Oh, and that little slide show to the right..very, very nice. :-P

Back to my whirlwind of chaos..
Hugs
M.V.

Liza said...

Fun interview Hawk & Angie. I have the first two books in my TBR pile, but need to move them up the list now. Sound like fun reads.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Blod!

I promise the contest will be easy...Angie created it not me ...so...easy and fun!

Now you've got to read the books and let me know if you think Biker Witch Hawk is anything like me! ;-)

Hugs
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Lea,

(((Hugs)))

Oh hon...her books are funny and so very different...I know you'll enjoy them!

xoxo
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

M.V., floating letters? Nope not me...must be the biker witches at work! ;-)

Glad you enjoyed the interview WAIT till you see the contest.

Hugs
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Liza,

Oh it's a must to move 'em up! They are all awesome reads!

Glad you stopped in.

Big HUgs
Hawk

M.V.Freeman said...

Hey Hawk,
before you think I'm a total nut job...

I reviewed the blog..LOL, embarassed here...
Umm..it is what I thought. Blue/Red are opposite colors, and if you look at the screen (go on, try) blue will automatically recede and the red, look like it is forward. Its really cool and makes sense. I thought you did it on purpose for the cool effect. I wonder if it works on people who are color blind?

I knew my year in art school wasn't totally wasted....

So...I'll quit being silly now.

Smiles!
M.V.

And I can hardly wait for the contest!

Blodeuedd said...

Hawk,
Haha, I can rest easy for once then, so you wont create a contest of doom just to see my chase answers ;)

I so have to, no other way

Cecile said...

Blodeuedd honey, you are the Queen of Hawk's contests! You rock at it, that is what makes it so hard for the rest of us, lmbo! But you do rock!!!

Houston, you did a great interview with Ms. Fox!!! I especially love learning that there is a Biker Witch after you!!!!!! LMBO! You know of course I have the first two books... so you know without a doubt I am getting the third one!!! And will be pimping this one out too!!! LOL!

Ms. Fox thank you for sharing the concept behind your books creation. I, as a reader, love to hear about those things. That is what makes the Ms. Fox seem like a person and not an icon. Not sure if that makes sense or not... Will stop babbling now, lol!!

Angie Fox said...

Hiya everyone - thanks for having me here! I have to tell you Hawk's biker witch was a blast to create.

She and I ran into each other at a writer's conference, so I was able to get to know the fun craziness that is Hawk. And, yes, after meeting her, I knew her character deserved to wield a blow torch on priceless griffin heirlooms. Some people just have the touch, you know?

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Cecile...

I can't say it enough...I adore you! So, pimp me out as a biker witch!

Now you've got to read the books and then tell me...how close did Angie get to the real me! Blow torch and all...you do know me.

Tell me what you think!

Big cyber hugs darlin!
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

ANGIE!!!!

WooHoo girl, you're here!

I think we've got a lot of biker withces just waiting to join the club!

LOL...Yeah, I got a touch alright. LOL

Glad to see you sweetie!
Hugs
Hawk

Pixie said...

Hawk,

Thank you for the interview. I have read the second book in this series and I tell you it is so funny. Dealing with her fairy godfather and bloody mary and the biker witches and all it was a fun ride.

Pixie

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Pixie,

I can say Angie knows how to write!

Glad you enjoyed the interview! ;-D

Hugs
Hawk

Dottie (My Blog 2.0) said...

Great interview Angie and Hawk (thanks for introducing us to the wicked biker wench, always knew Hawk had it in her)!

Congrats Hawk! (I know I already said congrats but that was a while ago!)

I love the idea of your Accidental Demon Slayer, I haven't read the books yet, but I've added them to my TBB list.

Thanks!

Dottie :)

Angie Fox said...

LOL Well let's just say Hawk was quite inspirational. Dimitri might never recover.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

ANGIE!

LOL...Awh.

Tell me, was it my blowtorch or the leather jacket I like to wear that made me unforgettable?

{;-D
Hugs darlin'
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Oh...Angie don't you be worryin'.... me sexy Dimitri...he'll recover... if I get a chance at him...he'll recover very nicely under me tender loving embrace. Teheheheheheee.

I know I know I'm bad!
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

But we're talking about Dimitri!

Sexy Dimitri!

You've got to give me a break here...it is Dimitri after all! I'll allowed to think hot sexy thoughts...aren't I?

tehehehehehe
Hawk

Vicki said...

Hey Angie!!

Hawk, great interview. It totally felt like I listening to you guys sitting around talking. :)

I loved both of the books and can't wait to read this one. And of course read about Hawk! How cool is that!!

Anonymous said...

Great article. I always enjoy your stuff!

M

Jes' Mysictal Treasures said...

Sis, I want your Elvis!!!When did you get him? He was a wonderful suprise for me today...can I have him music and all???? Please, please...
Love Your Sis

Jes' Mysictal Treasures said...

Sis,

Go check out your blog for Elvis!

xoxox
Hawk