Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Did you know our kitchen holds so many wonderful things besides something to eat?

Have you ever looked around your kitchen and seen it for what it really is? Yes, it’s a place to fix food but it’s also a place of healing…our food is more than nourishment…it’s a healer.

Did you know the Cherokee used Burdock as a healing wash to rid the body of sores and abrasions? It’s also good for getting rid of Poison Ivy. Yap, Comfrey mixed with Burdock makes a wonderful wash for the hands.

They also used Comfrey as a paste to help heal broken bones. But don’t over do the drinking of this herb in a tea form…Canada has banned its use because some research implicated it caused liver disease in humans.

The Cherokee knew a lot about our bodies and about keeping good health.

You know that cucumber going bad in your refrigerator? Well, it’s great medicine for the kidneys (dissolves uric acid build up in kidney and bladder) and your heart. Cucumber rid poisons and toxins form the body. Combine it with Aloe on a burn…wonderful stuff!

How about Cabbage? How many of you eat it, but did you know the Cherokee used it to prevent cancer in the colon and rectum? It also fights the BAD cholesterol! How did they know this so long ago and yet we’re just discovering it?

So….tell me now….who were the savages?

Did you know carrots are a natural antiseptic? The juice is good for swelling and inflammations on the skin? Hummm, me either but the Cherokee did.

So the next time you look around your kitchen… remember it’s not just for fixing food…it’s a place for healing the body and the soul! ;-D

Hugs

17 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I could know so much more, now I only know which leaf to put on a wound, oh and which berries are so good you wont get sick, and of course this other thing but now I can't remmeber the name of the thing

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Blodeuedd...lol...don't worry if you can't remember, you can always come back and check my post for the name! ;-) And if it isn't one I've talked about here...tell me what the herb does and I'll start naming them off until you say...THAT'S IT!

LOL,,,girl you make me laugh!

Hugs
Hawk

Kracken said...

I think the kitchen can also be the heart of the home. I know every time I go visit my dad they are in the kitchen. I feel replenished every time I go there!

As for the healing properties of all the others....does old salad dressing do anything? I am afraid that is about all I have in my fridge and not much else in the cupboards!

I am so bad about that! I'd hate to know how I would survive in the wild as the Indians did! I'd be skinnier that's for sure!!

But I love stuff like that! Very interesting and fun!

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

Very cool info! :D

And ditto with Kracken, I find working in my kitchen heals my heart too. Making goodies is my way of showing my friends and family I love them.

Miranda ~ Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Kracken!

I soooo agree with you...the kitchen is the heart of a home.

Don't worry about surviving in the wild...stick next to me (I'll feed you better food than Valance will) and I'll take care of that...ever eat a prickly Pear cactus? Oh, I love yucca root...better tasting than any potato! But I have to admit...black potatoes are pretty good too.

;-) all true!

Hugs
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Sweet! ((((HUGSSSS)))

*G* then we're all in agreement!

Come on...I'm in the mood for some french Vanilla coffee...anyone want to join me in the kitchen!?

;-)
Hawk

A man called Valance said...

Absorbing post, Hawk. As a heavy smoker myself, it raises my eyebrows to read that cabbages were used to prevent cancer of the rectum. Big C or not, I ain't walking round with a cabbage up my ass for nobody.

elaing8 said...

Usually some of the stuff in my kitchen will just give me food poisoning.lol.

I had no idea about putting cucumber with aloe for a burn,good to know.I'll need it :)
Great post.

Oscar said...

Thanks for the tip on the cucumber. Gout is a terrible thing! In some places the cucumber is called the lady's best friend. I wounder what they were talking about.

Cecile said...

Popping in to say hi honey!! Hugs to you!

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Valance!

LOL...you don't *wear* the cabbage...you EAT it!

LOL
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Elaine!

HUUUUUUUGSSSSSSSSSS...o.k.,let's eat at my house. LOL

you make me laugh sweetie

Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Oscar,

Oh cucumber's great for facials and puffy eyes...
;-D
As far as anything else, I'll leave that question open to Ms. Smutty Hussy Cecile, perhaps she might know of other uses.

Oscar, Oscar, Oscar!
such a bad boy ya' are!

Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Cecile!

Big hugs and love!

Hey, bad boy Oscar has a question for you sweetie...
read above.

ROTFLOL
Hawk

JJ Cocker said...

I'm useless in the kitchen. It's not where my talents are best, I'm afraid...

JJ Cocker said...

I'm useless in the kitchen. It's not where my talents are best, I'm afraid...

Houston A.W. Knight said...

J.J.,

So...what and where are your best talents? *G* Have you been visiting Cecile's place?

Hawk