Wednesday, December 8, 2010

PLEASE WELCOME, OSCAR WILLIAM CASE!


YES, OUR OSCAR!

Girls, we’ve seen our sometimes quiet, sometimes trouble-instigating, and always funny Oscar here making comments that make us laugh; never knowing who he really was! Well I’m here to OUT HIM today! Oscar is an accomplished author of several books and we’re going to talk about his western books today.

Hi Oscar!

Howdy, ladies. Come in, come on in and make yerselves comfortable. I’d offer you a shot of tequila or some swoggle juice, but being a teetotaler, I can only provide you with a shot of water.

You’re an American author with eight western books under your belt and several are published. Your first being,


The stranger from The Valley. An interesting novel about a hero named Chappie Wesford. A Marshal, who is assigned to carry out an untypical mission in a town called Altaveel. While there he falls for a Widow named Bigknife, who is shunned by the locals. Conflict comes when the wealthiest and most powerful family in Altaveel; The Henberrys, eldest son Milt thinks Wesford is there to take over their family business and is showing interest in the woman Bigknife, who Milt is enamored with. He and Oakley Henberry try to kill Wesford.

The second being


The Upamona Gold Claim Wrangle and your latest release being an exciting Western Titled Blood and Blazes in Upamona , a sequel to the Gold Claim Wrangle.

In this tale, Slim Sanglant returns to Upamona from prison seeking vengeance on those who sent him there, and Sheriff Red Skene is on his trail. There’s a killing, houses and a barn set on fire, and people missing before Red can get to the bottom of it with the help of his deputy, Bushy Carlsen. While Red is looking for the killer and arsonist, his wife is thinking about someone else and having serious doubts about their marriage. Everything is resolved in a surprise twist at the end.
Name five things that fascinated you about the West that sparked your desire to write westerns.

I would be hard pressed to name five things that sparked my desire to write westerns, but maybe two or three will be sufficient if I play my cards right. One of the things, although not the main reason, was that I had an Uncle Oscar Beebe, who was a deputy in Price, Utah, and he was awarded a rifle for his part in rounding up some of the Butch Cassidy gang back when. The main reason may be Zane Grey’s Riders of the Purple Sage, which my Mother used to read with me on her lap. We never finished the book, but she encouraged me, and in elementary school I wrote a short story about Jim Hatfield of the Texas Rangers, a pulp hero from one of the pulps my older brother dragged home. The story was probably about five or six sentences long, but my mother thought it was a dandy. Later, when I finished with the family history and genealogy stuff, I turned to Westerns as a natural thing to do. My only regret is that I should have started sooner, say forty or fifty years.

What insight can you provide to the up and coming writer when it comes to options of publishing one’s book; is it best to do print publishing or go E-publishing these days?

In my limited experience, most publishers these days provide both print and electronic publishing it seems. If a person wants a print book only, he may want to try the traditional route. A book by a traditional publisher gives a writer acceptance or standing in the community, or at least it used to compared to self-publishing. I have several rejections from agents and publishers and decided that it takes too much time at my age to wait around for up to a year for maybe another rejection and went the “self-publishing” way. In addition to print, iuniverse (one of many) provides e-publishing for each of my novels, the latest one is available on Kindle. E-publishing is the way to go if you don’t care about having a book in print.

Do you think there would be less violence today, if everyone wore a gun on their hip, like they did back in the western days?

Not in the least. Arizona is an open carry State, and you can go about anywhere with a gun strapped to your hip, but I don’t think it has had any effect on the violence or crime. The trouble makers are going to cause trouble no matter what, criminals have to do what they do for one reason or another, and there are shootings, knifings, killings about every day here in metro Phoenix.

What’s your opinion on self-publishing?

There is “self-publishing” and then there is “self-publishing.” What I do is called “self-publishing” since I do all the proofing, editing, correcting, and some formatting and iuniverse prints it for a fee (vanity press, to some). I have known of only one real self-publisher, that is, he does everything required to put out a print book, but he said it cost him around $15,000, and then he does all the advertising, etc., to sell it. Most writers can’t afford that price, so we go the other routes.

How would you compare today with the western world; what are the things that haven’t changed?

Hmm, this is a toughie. In my opinion, not much has changed except the modern conveniences. We still have shoot-outs, bank robberies, holdups, etc., but the culprits get away faster. We don’t have too many lynching’s anymore, unless through a public trial, not like in the old West where horse and cattle thieves were strung up or shot with no lawyer present and no trial. Taking the law into your own hands is supposedly forbidden these days.

What is the most important thing a young writer should watch out for when getting into this business?

Make sure the business is legitimate and stick to normal writing. Most people read for entertainment, and complicating things by using obscure words and phrases or a far out writing style doesn’t sell too well from what I’ve read and heard. Make sure you can write a complete and legible sentence.

What’s your take on writer groups or chapters? Do they really help a writer?

I belong to one group only, the Arizona Authors Association, and find it helpful by providing classes and info on upcoming events. They also provide critique groups, but I haven’t got into that yet.

It’s obvious you love the Wild West Days…so if you could go back in time who would you want to be, and why?

Having given this extreme thought, I would like to have been Doc Halliday, I think. He was fast with a gun, a great gambler, knew horses, and loved the “girls.” But he also had consumption and died at the ripe old age of 36, from natural causes (TB), not from lead poisoning.

Wow, I didn’t know that. Very interesting.

Girls, Oscar has been kind enough to offer a free give-away of his newest release Blood and Blazes in Upamona.



So, we’re going to play a little game; unscramble these letters to make the title of one of his books below. Then your name will go into the hat and next Wednesday I’ll announce the winner!

NREOLSTTMOUCPUNAYTEDDRNEAT

The Bloody Gulch.
Bloody Upamona.
Trouble At the Sagrado Ranch
The Long Time Posse
Up The Arkansas
Reluctant Deputy Tom Anderson

Oscar has a wonderful blog site click here and go check him out and feel the flavor of the west!

Thank you for coming and sharing the day with us!

My distinct pleasure, Ladies. Drop in any time, and thanks, Hawk, for this interview!

You’re very welcome Oscar…we had fun and learned so much.

Big Hugs

32 comments:

Oscar said...

Thanks again, Hawk, I enjoyed "talking" with you and enjoy your blog.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

HUGGGGS Oscar!

Thanks for coming...we're sure to get this place heated up soon! So hang around for a wee bit!

xoxo
Hawk

~Sia McKye~ said...

Hey Oscar. My dad would have loved your books. I'll have to tell my oldest brother, Jonny, about them. He loves westerns.

I loved Zane Gray's stories. I think I read all of them I could get my hands on when I was in school.

Wishing you the best with your stories Oscar!

A man called Valance said...

Bravo! Well done Oscar, and thank you Hawk. Much enjoyed. The answer to the quiz is 'Reluctant Deputy Tom Anderson,' but I'll understand if I'm barred from entering on the grounds of postage costs.

Told you you'd enjoy it didn't I, Oscar? Just one thing... how come you got out with your shirt still on your back?

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Sia!

Oh, you forgot to take a guess...if you do you'll be in the running to get a free signed book to give your brother.

Don't miss out!

Hugs
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Valance,

I exclude no one from my contest...if you're kind enough to come to my blog and comment and take the time to read what's posted...I feel you've earned the right just like anybody else to enter me contest!

As far as his coming out with his shirt...I hate to tell you this, but he knows the secret words for keeping it on. ;-) Now would you like to give those four little words a guess?

:-D
Careful Pard...you might get them right.
Hawk - hummming her favorite tune.

Brandi said...

What a great interview! Honestly, I haven't gotten in to to many western books, but I love western movies. What girl doesn't love a handsome cowboy?

My mother would absolutely love your books though. So I'm entering for her. Shes a little on the technology deficient side. The right answer is the last one Reluctant deputy tom anderson.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Brandi!

I've got you entered!

Big hugs
Hawk

Brandi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandi said...

I almsot forgot! Thanks so much for putting me up on your page. Your a doll Hawk! I gotta say I look pretty sexy up there too!

Your absolutely hillarious and im so glad I wandered into your blog.

Brandi

p.s. the sexyness keeps me comming back for more too. I really am a shamless little harlot!

A man called Valance said...

Hmm, if Oscar didn't say 'make my day Punk,' then I really don't know.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Brandi, you little harlot!
LOL

You look HOT in that photo...and Hot romance and sexy eye candy is what makes this blog...that's why I put you up there!
;-) besides...it's a faster link for everyone to get to your blog!

BTW, I'm glad you wandered over here too! You're a sweetheart!

Big Hugs
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

}:-/

Valance! TRY AGAIN.

*Houston humming louder her favorite tune - Dah, dah, dahdah! Dah, dah, dahdah... Here come's the bride...*

HINT!
Hawk

A man called Valance said...

Hmm, I'll have to think on it. Give me till Easter.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

{{8-O EASTER!


}:-/

Oscar said...

The secret words for keeping my shirt on are "old age." I know you young ladies like to see the young men au naturel, but believe me, my shirt is better on than off. I don't want to scare Hawk's followers. Thanks for all the comments and I hope you and your relatives read and enjoy my books.

Stephanie Faris said...

Sounds like quite a guy.

JJ Cocker said...

Have you got a thing about cowboys, Hawk?

M.V.Freeman said...

Hi Oscar,
I'm a little late, always am. I think of it as a gift.

I LOVE the names you give your characters. I think that's the hardest thing at times.

And I have to say, I like your take on people--there will always be good, bad, ugly, and stupid. :-)
No matter what.

It was a pleasure to read about your writing!

Have a great day!
M.V.

elaing8 said...

Great interview Hawk and Oscar.Its nice to learn a little bit more of one of Hawks loyal followers.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Oscar,

LOL...yeah, o.k., then I won't tell the girls about what happened with you and your shirt down at the saloon between you and that little gal...what did you call her...Cordelia??

And I won't mention that you can dance...but I gotta admit you did look might good up there on that bar with all those can can girls.

:-)

A man called Valance said...

Oscar, you old dark horse you. Well, like they say... there's many a good tune played on an old fiddle.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Stephanie,

Oscar is a sweetheart for sure...I've enjoyed getting to know him during this interview.

You getting all your holiday shopping done?

Hugs
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

JJ

Doesn't every girl have a thing about Cowboys?

LOL
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

M.V.!


Hugs Sweetie - YOU HAVE BEEN MISSED!

will you be here for awhile?

Hugs
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

xoxox Elaing!

I know...I love meeting our cyber friends, and Oscar is such a sweet man.

Hugs
Hawk

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Valance...What are you doing here...I thought you were preoccupied with Miss Sweet?

Mister, you're a spur in me saddle, But I can't help meself...now get over here cowboy so I can hug you!

Big hugs
Hawk

A man called Valance said...

'I thought you were preoccupied with Miss Sweet?'

Just being my sweet sociable self, that's all. Well, I'm here. Hug away if you're still minded.

Oscar said...

Got to thank you again for displaying those book covers,Hawk! Thanks!And thanks to MV for her comments, and thanks to all the ladies and gents, and thanks to Valance and Nameless, an the Smutty Hussy, too! Thanks, thanks, thanks! Whew! I'm plumb wore out.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

*Hugs Valance*

I adore you cowboy! Now if you could find some of the sweetness and use it on me...I'd be beholding!

;-)

Houston A.W. Knight said...

OSCAR!!!

Big hugs...This Wednesday we'll be pulling the name of our winner out!

You are very welcome Cowboy...the interview was fun and we all got to hear about you. It's always nice to get to know each other better and what better way then through an interview...they reveal quite a lot sometimes...just ask Valance....tehehehehe

Since Valance warned you you'd be safe I couldn't pull any fast ones on you BUT BE WARNED....your next interview just might have a few unexpected surprises...one never know over here at Hawk's place what's gonna happen.

Big Cyber Hugs dear Oscar!
Hawk

A man called Valance said...

Yup, well done Oscar. I'd love to see another instalment.